Saturday, May 22, 2010

Movie Review- Iron Man 2



So, I finally saw this film. I say it that way because I had been wanting to see it since it was released a few weeks ago. Before I begin the actual review, I should state two important things:

1. I love superheroes, and the movies made about them.
2. I don't read comic books. I used tot read and collect them. And of the ones I did read, Iron Man was NOT one of them. It wasn't from a lack of interest. I just discovered I was reading too many titles that could not be supported by the budget of an unemployed teenager.

Now, onto my analysis.

Iron Man 2 is exactly what you want in a sequel: familiar characters and stars, enough of a recap of the original work, a sort-of picking up where the story left off, and it should not be as good as the original. The Godfather, Part II is the only known exception to this last criteria.

The film carries on the story of titan of industry, wealthy playboy, and technological genius Tony Stark. Stark, in the Iron man armor, has brought about a type of world peace. This has not escaped the notice of the United States government, who wishes to acquire the technology and use it for themselves. Stark refuses to sell to them. Meanwhile, in Russia, a heavily-tattooed physicist is making plans to get revenge on Tony Stark for perceived injustices committed against his father by Tony Stark's father during the Cold War. He tries to accomplish this by constructing a a rip-off (based on original designs) of Iron Man's (and Tony Stark's) ARC reactor. He then constructs a sort of exoskeleton which brandishes electrically-charged whips in each hand.

The film is essentially, even if unintentionally (I suspect intentional, though) about contrasts. Let me provide a few examples. Malibu, where Tony Stark resides, is always sunny and has perfect weather. (I have never been there, but I am told this is pretty accurate.) Russia is depicted as being gray, always overcast, and almost always snowing. Further, the film contrasts the sleek, sparkling, and sexy Iron Man armor with the crude exoskeleton of Whiplash. Then we are faced with the contrast of motives. The film contrast the (supposedly) pure motives of Tony Stark/Iron Man with not only the motives of revenge displayed by Whiplash, but also the motive of the United States government (is it to wage war or preserve peace?).

GOSPEL HANDLES

There's a fascinating line by Whiplash in the film when he describes his motive for wanting revenge on Tony Stark. He says, "If you could make God bleed, people would cease to believe in him." What do we, as Christians (and pastors) do with that? After all, we believe that, on the cross, God DID bleed. How would you preach this?

Also, the story that unfolds in the film, is partially a Gospel handle itself. It starts with a "very good" design (the Iron Man armor) which is then co-opted by something/someone evil, made to create chaos and bring about death, and finally is redeemed. What other Gospel Handles did you see? I can think of at least two.

CLERGY HANDLES

There are no depictions of clergy in this film.

All in all, I found this movie to be solid for a sequel. There were some parts that dragged, but on the whole it was pretty good. The lulls are salvaged by good performances by Don Cheadle, Scarlett Johansson, and especially, Gwyneth Paltrow and Mickey Rourke. Also noteworthy was the brief part played by Garry Shandling.

2 comments:

Dan at Necessary Roughness said...

The Empire Strikes Back was a better movie than Star Wars, even after George Lucas took it down a notch with the Special Edition. :)

Other than that, thanks for the review :)

Pastor Chris said...

I totally spaced on "Empire". Thanks for the heads up, Dan!