Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The End of LOST & 24

Recently, 2 popular television series ended. I was a neither a fan or regular watcher of either LOST (ABC) or 24 (FOX). Millions of people are. I was told, however, that the series' finales both offered up a decent dose of sermon illustrations. Maybe that is true.

But it sort of brings up a larger question. Do I need to see everything to be truly culturally attuned? I don't think so.

The drawback, of course, is being accused of not liking something, taking offense, and reacting when you have not seen it. This, unfortunately, is rampant in Christian circles. What I am trying to say, is that you run the risk of operating solely on the principle of "someone told me to be offended, so I am". But then again, you also run the risk of praising something you have no clue about (as in Mark Twain's definition of a classic).

What about you? were you a fan of either of these shows? If so, how did/does it affect your preaching? Do you feel the need to check out every reference you preach on or criticize?

No comments: