Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Movie Review- The Last Airbender



I have never seen the cartoon on which this film is based. I saw this film because I'm a big fan of its director, M. Night Shyamalan. I've been a fan since The Sixth Sense. I hated The Happening. So, I was eager to see him bounce back. I was not disappointed! I know many professional critics dislike this film. That's fine, they're entitled to their educated opinion.

The plot itself seemed convoluted to me, but this is largely due to my own lack of familiarity with the source material. Fortunately, other people summarize the plot much better than I do. Yahoo! gives the following: "Air, Water, Earth, Fire. Four nations tied by destiny when the Fire Nation launches a brutal war against the others. A century has passed with no hope in sight to change the path of this destruction. Caught between combat and courage, Aang discovers he is the lone Avatar with the power to manipulate all four elements. Aang teams with Katara, a Waterbender, and her brother Sokka to restore balance to their war-torn world."

Fortunately, this blog is more dedicated to spiritual issues than plot. And this film is loaded with spiritual issues. Examples include the power of belief, communing with a 'spirit world", reincarnation, dedication to religious vocations, as well as others which I know I am overlooking.

Many critics, profession and otherwise, and many filmgoers in general have given up on Shyamalan. But, the above paragraph explains why I have not. Regardless of the aesthetic merits of most his work post-Signs, his films speak to me. I thought about why this is. Then it hit me, the films of his which I love (all except The Happening) deal with persons trying to find their purpose. I've struggled with that issue personally.

Regarding theological issues, the films seems to be a conglomeration of various Eastern theologies. The discerning viewer will want to familiar with the basics of such religions as Buddhism and Hinduism, as well as pantheism. That sounds like a LOT of effort, just to see a movie, but it IS worth it.

Spiritual issues the film discusses include purpose, reincarnation, supernatural powers, monasticism, as well as others, such as corruption of power.

GOSPEL HANDLES

Aang (though a reincarnation of the Avatar), is the chosen one who will save the people. He is the only one who can master all the elements. He has special tattoos (markings) which identify him as the Avatar.

Also, there is a scene where the princess of the water tribe sacrifices herself so the people can be saved.

CLERGY HANDLES

Monks and priests abound in this film. They live in temples. They are not Christian monks or priests, though it is unclear what religion they actually are.

Many of our parishioners have children who are quite familiar with the cartoon series. That alone makes it worth seeing. I enjoyed the film, and still believe in M. Night Shyamalan, even if everyone else doesn't.

No comments: