Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Did Jesus Die On A $?

This post actually has nothing to do with art.

And, it pains me to write this because I have good friends on both sides of the issue. However, I feel compelled to speak out. Sure, I may be the only one. But somebody has to say it.

I have recently discovered that the Counseling Center (CC) at my alma mater, Concordia Seminary in St. Louis, MO will be closed due to financial constraints. This is an awful move. The CC was extremely beneficial to me while I was a student there. So, you see, this is quite a personal issue.

For those of you that don't know me or my story, let me fill you in on some of the details. While I was enrolled there, my then-wife left me. Consequently, I went through a divorce. I sought and received wonderful support from the CC.

And now, the CC will be closing. Dear friends, I harbor no illusions about the harsh realities of economic downturn. I am also aware that behind any institution which claims to be religious, a business operation must be run. (Left-hand kingdom issues, for those friends of Luther.) Thus, things not in the classroom (proclaiming the Gospel) is pretty much the Law incarnate. However, there are some things which are a bit more important than cash.

It should also be noted that this is not the only department affected. Faculty is being cut and redeployed. However, it should also be noted that one office has recently nearly doubled in size. This, of course, is the office responsible for raising dollars.

Like I said, I harbor no illusions. But, come on. Couldn't something else be cut?

In other words, "Here, Seminarians. Go minister to people. But don't come to us when you need actual ministry to yourself."

The Sem is currently seeking $77 Million through a campaign entitled "How Will They Hear?" According to the Seminary's website, it has already raised $57 Million. So where is the money going? They detail what those plans are on the website. Interestingly, there is nothing in their plans for closing an office which benefits the students while growing a fund-raising office.

The blindly loyal seminary apologists will say that this is exactly why the need for giving is so great. But if valuable services will be cut, the damage has already been done.

This is a personal outrage for me. And I know I am not the only one. If the CC has benefited you, feel free to comment. Or better still, call the Sem. Demand accountability. Find out where the money is going. Silence will not help the situation!

It is time for someone to watch the watchmen!

So, maybe this post wasn't about art. But I hope and pray it is not about BS artists.

PS: I should say, if I am wrong in any of this, I will gladly recant. But you must tell me why this is a good thing. Explain to me why cutting counseling benefits the seminarians and their families in ANY way.

4 comments:

Christopias Spritopher said...

This is why I avoid contact with the other Lutherans and bite people who suggest I go back. It's quizzical that we get everything wrong. This is something easy, too. I can't be that expensive.

David said...

While can see the CC as being sort of redundant now that the sem students have Concordia Plan, and thus decent mental health coverage, I still think that there could have been better ways to save money.

E.W. Rodgers said...

Another consequence of this decision is that our PCA friends down the road at Covenant now have one fewer location to do their internships for a degree in counseling. I have many friends at Covenant, and I greatly value their input in theological dialogue. Unlike the folks from Eden, they can actually build a theological case from scripture without have to resort to "The Most Holy Gospel according to 'Well I Think.'"

jWinters said...

It's unfortunate, but I can't foresee that people like Hartung are going to allow Concordia students to go without the help they once received through the counseling center. I would be interested in hearing what the "stop gap" in all of this is.

Unfortunately, this is possibly at least a symptom of the idea that "counseling is for wussies" (when in fact it takes a lot of guts and scared the crap out of me the first time I went). It is either a symptom because Concordia students were not taking advantage of the CC or because Concordia admin saw the elimination of the CC as only affecting the "few and infirmed".

It will be interesting to see what comes of this.

Thanks so much for breaking this story.

in Christ,
jW